Friday, November 7, 2008

The Unfettered Mind...

"Be true to the thought of the moment and avoid distraction. Other than continuing to exert yourself, enter into nothing else, but go to the extent of living single thought by single thought"
-The Hagakure, c. 1707

At this point in my life I'm often finding myself relying on this philosophy of disciplining my mind in order to just make it through another day.

At times I feel overwhelmed with obligations, responsibilites, and expectations. But I try to keep bringing my mind back into the present moment, to concentrate on the task at hand, to not get caught in the endless loop of "what if..." but rather to choose to think "what can I do right now to make at least some progress..." Then I try to act, to keep breathing, to keep my head up and my eyes forward, to stay focused and keep on putting one foot infront of the other.

No comments: